We are excited to welcome Patricia Oriti from Oregon to present our Spring full day workshop in Nanaimo on April 11th! Patricia is a very experienced Montessori Educator, who has been working in Montessori schools and spreading the word all over North America and Europe for the past 40 years. Discover Montessori School, Nanaimo, will be hosting the event and we are hoping many people from Victoria will be able to attend. We are looking into hiring a bus and will keep you informed!
Registration at 8.30am
Morning Session 9.00 – 12.00pm
A SELF MANAGING COMMUNITY FOR ALL CHILDREN:
This session will look beyond classroom management to offer strategies for creating and sustaining a self-managing community of children. Children learn how to elicit cooperation and avoid conflict when they manage the classroom themselves. When children are in charge of themselves and one another, they become deeply invested in their community. They become highly skilled as leaders and followers in turn. All aspects of the community become more interesting, more valid, and more compelling.
Our discussion will include:
- How do we include and engage challenging children?
- How do we support children to become problem-solvers?
- How do we turn negative behavior into positive leadership?
- How do we create clarity in the culture of the community that fosters a sense of belonging and the development of independence?
- How do we find activities that correspond to each child’s level of involvement in the community?
As we work to develop a self-managing community we embrace Dr. Montessori’s vision of creating a world community rooted in peaceful co-existence, respectful interdependence, compassion and responsibility.
Afternoon Session 1.00 – 3.30pm
EXCELLENCE WITHOUT BURNOUT
As Montessori educators we need to nurture and enrich our own development. Administrators need to find sources of renewal for their faculty’s long-term commitment and professional development. This workshop will address the need we have to find meaning and support in our work, and to see our work in the larger context of society.
Our discussion will include:
- How can we use ritual as a vehicle for renewal?
- How do we cultivate a community of support?
- How can we involve parents so their efforts result in on-going relief in our daily practice?
- How do we define accountability?
- How can we best work together in community in our different roles?
Maintaining a sense of mission and life-long commitment to Montessori education will allow each of us to transform our day to day work with a sense of purpose and give us the energy we need to sustain ourselves.
- vegan, gluten free, non-vegetarian. You can, of course, bring your own if you prefer: just let us know.
- Please bring your own water bottle.
- Please let Kendi, our registrar this time, know what your lunch preference is.
436 Durban Street,
Please print your name and/or the names of people attending clearly somewhere on your check, or on a separate piece of paper.
On February 28th, 2015 between 10am and 2pm we will be opening our doors for our Annual West-Mont Montessori Open House.
- Visit our Learning Fair and Art Show – Showcasing Student Work.
- Tour Our Classrooms and Meet the Teachers.
- Hear Nicky MacDonald Speak on Montessori: Educating the Whole Child and Nurturing a Love of Learning.
- Free Book for the First 50 New Families
All are welcome to attend Shawnigan Lake Montessori Child Care’s OPEN HOUSE Wednesday January 14, and meet the teachers 5 to 8 pm – Topic for conversation – What is Montessori and how does it assist the children? What better way to celebrate our beautiful new classroom than an Open House!
Bloom Montessori located in View Royal, is seeking an ECE / Montessori trained teacher for a new class starting in January 2015. Successful applicant must be:
-able to work in a collaborative environment
-a good communicator with parents and children
-organized and reliable
-able to work independently
Please send resume, and two written references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Based on resumes, qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
BC Certified middle-school teacher required by Independent Montessori school. Position is in a multi-aged classroom (grade 7 and 8); 45 students; 3 full-time teachers; 1 full-time Special Educational Assistant.
Desired qualities in candidate:
- Successful experience with adolescents.
- Comfortable teaching Math, Socials, Sciences, Language Arts, and Health and Career.
- More of a generalist, than a specialist.
- Experience with team-teaching or similar environments.
- Good communication skills–with adolescents and adults.
- Open to being Montessori mentored, and the possibility of participating in Montessori certification in the future.
- Understands the importance of, and adheres to, the prepared environment.
- Organized and reliable.
- Meets deadlines and goals.
- Confident and motivated in taking initiative and also asking for help when needed.
Based on resumes, qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Based on interviews, selected and interested candidates will be contacted to spend time in the classroom.
Resumes should be directed to the principal of Maria Montessori Academy either by email: email@example.com or by mail or by hand to:
Maria Montessori Academy
1841 Fairburn Drive
Victoria BC V8N 1P8
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION IS THURSDAY JANUARY 15, 2015.
Comox Valley Montessori Society will be hosting their Open House on Wednesday January 14th from 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
The evening will be held at Queneesh Elementary School in Courtenay, where our program resides.
West-Mont Montessori School is actively seeking Montessori trained applicants to be on our Teacher-On-Call list. If you are interested in being on this list, please send the following documentation for review:
- Cover Letter
- Two written references
- A copy of your Montessori qualifications
- A copy of any ECE qualifications held
- A copy of your BC Teaching Certificate if applying to work in our Elementary classes
Documentation can be sent to Principal Magnus Hanton, firstname.lastname@example.org. After review, you will be contacted if your skill set meets with the needs of West-Mont Montessori School.
Langford Montessori is looking for a substitute ECE or ECA to work a maximum of one day a week, to cover prep time. First aid, references and experience are required. Please contact Julie at email@example.com for more information.
1. November 15th, 2014 – Michelle Lane – Autism in the Montessori classroom
2. April 11th 2015 – Patricia Oriti – Practical tips for special needs children in our Montessori classrooms.